Monday, April 15, 2013

Tagging all the bases - Insights from Jeff, Pittsburgh PDMA Chapter President



I’ve been sponsoring three student teams in the Integrated Product Development class at Carnegie Mellon University. This is a great program. As part of it I and a few of my colleagues get presentation updates from the teams on their progress; we just completed our third and are awaiting the final.

While I’m really excited about what these students are doing and can’t wait for the outputs of the projects, I’ve found the process and experience itself to be really valuable.

As I’m traveling back to my office; the GPS is on so I can reflect on the student presentations and not miss my turns. A few observations I make:

1.       They are executing to a solid process; not skipping steps – I wonder how often in my career I have cut that corner, missed that insight.  Getting back to tagging all the bases sure has value.  Note to self – employ a robust process; don’t skip that step.

2.       Speed – not speed by skipping steps but just a disciplined focus on getting it done; sometimes getting creative to secure customer feedback.  Overcome obstacles, don’t stop and wait.

3.       The value of fresh eyes – more than a few instances where they saw it differently and I never looked from that angle (what else have I missed?)

4.       Eagerness matters – When your hungry for success, excited about what you are doing and on a learning journey its infectious and drives you to new levels of excellence.  (How do I stay eager everyday?)

I can’t wait till the final presentations – guess that eagerness has rubbed off!

Jeff Thompson
President Pittsburgh Chapter PDMA
Director Innovation at Mckesson Automation

No comments:

Post a Comment